In the News

IN THE KNOW: Charter change



Philippine Daily Inquirer / 07:32 AM August 11, 2017

In 1986, following the ouster of dictator Ferdinand Marcos, Corazon Aquino proclaimed a revolutionary government and suspended the 1973 Constitution.

She then formed a 50-member constitutional commission to write a new Constitution, which was approved in a plebiscite in 1987.

Zubiri not giving up on Negros region




Published August 10, 2017, 10:01 PM
By Vanne Elaine P. Terrazola and Tara Yap

Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri said he will push for the re-establishment of the Negros Island Region (NIR) which President Duterte had ordered abolished.

“I am saddened by the latest development concerning the Negros Island Region, however I respect President Duterte’s decision for its abolition,” Zubiri said in a statement.

‘One Negros’ dream ends



Philippine Daily Inquirer / 07:14 AM August 10, 2017
By Leila B. Salaverria, With reports from Carla P. Gomez and Nestor P. Burgos Jr.

After two years, the One-Negros region is no more.

President Rodrigo Duterte has dissolved the Negros Island Region (NIR) because of funding issues, revoking an order by his predecessor that united the provinces of Negros Occidental and Negros Oriental.

Officials dismayed by abolition of Negros Island Region




Thursday, August 10, 2017
By MARCHEL P. ESPINA, MERLINDA A. PEDROSA

NEGRENSES expressed dismay over President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision to sign Executive Order (EO) 38, abolishing Negros Island Region (NIR).

Former Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas II, who spearheaded the efforts to create the region, said the development of Negros Occidental and Negros Oriental will be “slower” not being under one region.

Negrenses saddened over dissolution of Negros Island Region



Published August 10, 2017 5:46am
By ERWIN P. NICAVERA

Negrense officials and leaders were saddened by the executive order (EO) issued by President Rodrigo Duterte dissolving Negros Island Region (NIR), more than two years after it was created by the previous administration.

Negros Occidental Gov. Alfredo Marañon Jr. said he is slightly dismayed and disappointed on the action made by the president abolishing the youngest region.

UNegA gears up for 2019 elections



on Thursday, August 10, 2017
BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN


The United Negros Alliance (UNegA) is also gearing up for the 2019 elections, and its members are scheduled to have meeting this month.

Senior Board Member Salvador Escalante Jr said yesterday that UNegA may also field candidates for the gubernatorial and vice gubernatorial positions, as Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. is now on his last term.

Benitez, Lacson meet, discuss 2019 poll plans



on Wed, 08/09/2017
By Carla P. Gomez

It looks like Rep. Alfredo Abelardo Benitez (Neg. Occ., 3 rd District) is more likely to run for senator, paving the way for fellow Love Negros member, Vice Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson, to go for the governorship in the 2019 polls.

Lacson confirmed yesterday that he and Benitez met over breakfast Friday.“There was an agreement but I cannot divulge any details,” he said.

Negrenses upset over Duterte's order dissolving Negros region



Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Duterte signed Executive Order 38 on August 7, revoking EO 183 that created the NIR on May 29, 2015.

Negros Oriental will revert to Central Visayas (Region 7) and Negros Occidental to Western Visayas (Region 6).

Negros Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr., who launched #Save NIR Movement together with Negros Oriental Governor Roel Degamo last year, said he was dismayed, but has to accept and respect the decision of President Duterte.

Vice Gov. Lacson Hints on 2019 Poll Scenario



on Thu, 08/08/2017 By Arman P. Toga

Negros Occidental Vice Governor Eugenio Jose “Bong” Lacson yesterday hinted on the more likely political scenario in the province in 2019.

Lacson, acknowledged as the “strongest successor” for governor in 2019, said Friday’s meeting between him and 3rd District Congressman Alfredo Abelardo “Albee” Benitez, along with other Love Negros (LN) officials, was a positive one.

Barangay polls eyed next year




Tuesday, August 08, 2017
MARCHEL P. ESPINA

MEMBERS of the House of Representatives are pushing to move the barangay elections next year.

Lawmakers from Negros Occidental confirmed that during their caucus Monday, majority of the congressmen have agreed to postpone the village and youth polls, both slated this coming October, to May 2018.

Third District Representative Alfredo Benitez said the proposed new election schedule will coincide with the referendum of the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law.

Pages